Click for larger image
 HARLEM-Marvin Lloyd Potter, 71 passed away in his sleep, March 14, 2017 at Peace Hospice in Great Falls with his loving sister, Kelly Taylor at his side.

    A celebration of his life will be 2:00P.M., Saturday, March 25 at the Glasgow V.F.W. Post 3107. There will be sharing of stories and Military Honors. Lunch will follow the services. Condolences for the family may be left at

    Marvin was born to Harold and Pearl (Whitish) Potter on July 22, 1945 in Glasgow. Montana. They divorced and Harold married Mary Wilson who Marvin always concerted as his mother throughout his life. He was raised on the family farm by his grandparents, Fred and Jennie Potter and his parents Harold and Mary. It was in his childhood that he became close to lifelong friend Leonard Swenson who lived on the neighboring farm. He graduated from Glasgow High School in 1963. From there, he attended a trade school in Wahpeton, ND to study mechanics. He was well known for his outstanding mechanical skills all of his adult life.

    After trade school, Marvin came home to Glasgow. He worked at Gallagher's IGA. It was at this time he met Kathy Fuhrman and they started dating. Marvin was drafted into the Army in July 1966. He did his basic training at Fort. Lewis, WA. He broke his foot during basic training, but was still deployed to Vietnam. He was a helicopter mechanic.

    In Vietnam, he was based at Bear Cat on the DMZ between North and South Vietnam. He was a helicopter mechanic and among all he did, he was taken to downed helicopters to repair them enough to get them back to base while under fire. At one time, he had left a helicopter engine up on a boom when he went too the bunkers during a mortar attack. He was court marshaled and demoted in rank for leaving the engine up in the air. He was told that he was expendable, the engine was not. This was a hard blow. He was sent back to the states a week early, and the camp was destroyed a couple of days after leaving. He suffered from survivor's guilt over losing all his comrades. Marvin was very proud of being a veteran and displayed American flags on any and all of his vehicles. PTSD was not recognized at this time, but it took its toll on Marvin, alcohol was his coping means.

    Marvin and Kathy continued their romance through letters while he was in Vietnam. Marvin and Kathy were married on June 8, 1969, a year after he returned from Vietnam. They lived in Killeen, TX (Fort Hood) until he finishes his services duties. Next they moved to Everett, WA where he was a mechanic for Boeing building the 747 jets until Boeing had a massive lay off.

    Marvin and Kathy returned to Glasgow Montana, where their three daughters, Kami, Pamela and Kyndra were born. During this time he worked for John Deere Implement and the Etchart Ranch. They were divorced but always remained friends and kept in contact.

    He moved to Chinook, MT to work at a John Deere dealership owned by Kathy's brother, Bob Fuhrman. Bob sold the dealership and Marvin moved to Harlem to work at Northern Supply. We worked there until he retired.

    During the 70's Marvin became very involved with Stock Car racing and it became a lifelong passion. His car number was 17. It was during this time that he grew his beard and mustache and became known as Whiskers. During his time in Texas he enjoyed attended Drag Races. In 2007 he started going to Drag Races in Malta and Lewistown. He made many great friends (his racing buddies). He never missed another race until his death. Marvin's last race car was a 1985 Chevy Corvette and he was overjoyed to take this for his last race.

    He was also very creative with many artistic skills using paper and pencil, markers, paint, metal working creating sculpture items and his last work was The Lord's Supper tooled on copper. It was done freehanded and is outstandingly detailed. Marvin was most proud of this his final work. Marvin was also an avid reader with Zane Grey as his most favorite author.

    Fire destroyed Marvin's home on February 21, 2017, and he was taken to Great Falls for medical treatment. He spent his last few weeks at Peace Hospice with his dear sister, Kelly Potter Taylor, always by his side until his death on March 14, 2017.

    Marvin was a Life Member of V.F.W. Post 3107. He was also a Lifetime Member of the Phillips County Motor Sports (Hi-Line Drag Strip) of Malta.

    Marvin was preceded in death by his dad, Harold Potter, his grandparents, Fred and Jennie Potter, his sister, Marilyn Potter Carson, his Uncle Bud Potter and his granddaughter, Charley SeRae Hieb.

    Survivors include his daughters, Kami (Charlie) Brady, Pamela (Devin) Hieb and Kyndra (Winston) Hall; grandchildren include, Grayson Brady, Zach and Kash Hieb, Aitana and Ellycia Moore, and Gacin Hall; Kathy Fuhrman, he ex-wife and friend.

    Marvin is also survived by his very loving and caring sister, Kelly (Dale) Taylor. Other family includes his mother, Mary Potter; siblings, Tim (Ann) Potter, Lloyd Potter, Joy (Tom) See, and Jennie Potter McMichael. Also are numerous nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews and cousins.

Guest Book submissons may be made using the link to the left.